Kent State discusses the ‘Big O’ during Sex Week event

Erin Zaranec

Sex educators Maggie Keenan-Bolger and Marshall Miller spoke to a full lecture hall Wednesday night, presenting their “I <3 Female Orgasm” program.

The pair, who have spoken more than 450 times to more than 100,000 people in 37 states, not only provided students with laughter and entertainment but with serious education as well.

“Now, this is a fun subject, but it’s not just a fun subject,” Keenan-Bolger said. “There are a lot of really good health reasons why we all need good, accurate information about our bodies.”

Students of all ages, races, genders and sexual orientations attended the lecture. The sound of laughter exploded into the hallways as Keenan-Bolger and Miller made learning about sexuality entertaining and comfortable.

“It was really funny and informative,” freshman public health major Josh Ambrose said. “The presenters did a very good job of educating us and keeping it comfortable.”

The discussion was not only geared toward heterosexual couples but also focused on the general topics of pleasure, sexual health and self-empowerment.

“There are women here tonight who want to learn more about their sexuality, and partners of all genders who want to learn more about women’s sexuality,” Miller said. “There are people here who are single, people who are in a relationship, people who are married … people here who are heterosexual, people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual and people who identity as queer or are transgender.”

For part of the discussion, the audience separated into two different rooms according to gender. Keenan-Bolger explained that “I <3 Female Orgasm” was initially an all-female program, until men expressed interest in attending the event.

They still do separate segments, though, to make sure everyone feels comfortable enough to speak up and share stories or questions.

“I think this is a topic that a lot of people are afraid to talk about,” said Kristin Ammons, senior nutrition and food major. “This program provided a good place to talk in a comfortable environment.”

While the presentation focused on female anatomy, sexuality and the female orgasm, it played the dual role of empowering and educating women and teaching partners how to better please the woman they are with.

“A lot of guys need to learn; some guys really don’t know much about this topic and needed a place to learn without embarrassment,” freshman media productions major Cedric Simmons said.

Keenan-Bolger and Miller also made it clear that while everyone has different preferences, certain sexual activity does require protection, such as condoms or other contraceptives.

The presentation, which lasted approximately an hour and a half, was interactive and allowed students to speak up and make comments, ask questions and share personal experiences.

“We support you making decisions about sex that are healthy, responsible and right for you,” Miller said.

Contact Erin Zaranec at [email protected].