Kent State crowns Homecoming queen, king at weekend football game

Mariam Makatsaria

Jesse Markowitz and Caitlin Kilbane were crowned 2013 Homecoming king and queen during halftime of the Kent State vs. Northern Illinois University football game on Saturday at Dix Stadium.

As the Flashes took on the Northern Illinois Huskies during an intense game, fans tried to stay dry under their umbrellas and yellow rain ponchos.

Although it poured during the first half of the game, the rain had completely stopped by the time the 2013 Homecoming court walked onto the field.

Following the Kent State marching band’s James Bond-themed show, the Homecoming court stood waiting in anticipation for their names to be called out as 2013 Homecoming royalty.

2012 Homecoming King Thomas Ream presented Markowitz with the Homecoming medallion and sash.

Markowitz is a senior theater studies major and was sponsored by the School of Theatre and Dance. He is also a member of Mortar Board, the National College Senior Honor Society.

“I am on cloud nine,” Markowitz said. “It’s amazing. It is such an honor to be able to represent Kent State in this way forever.”

Last year’s Homecoming queen, Ann Miller, crowned Kilbane. President Lester Lefton presented Kilbane with a bouquet of roses.

Kilbane is a senior health and physical education major. She was sponsored by the Kent State softball team. She is also a four-year member of Physical Education Club for Students and a three-year member of health honorary Eta Sigma Gamma.

“It’s very exciting,” Kilbane said. “I was very surprised. I wasn’t expecting it at all. It’s really cool to represent Kent State.”

The 2013 Homecoming court was welcomed with cheers and whistles from the crowd, who showed their school pride and support by wearing Kent State blue and gold.

Kilbane and Markowitz then posed for pictures with Lefton.

Members of the 2013 queen’s court were Kilbane, Danielle Melidona, Katie Clarkin, Katie Fridley, Kavitha Bagavandoss and Lauren Sewell.

Members of the king’s court were Christopher (Sal) DeSanto, Markowitz, Joseph Cancelliere, Kyle Hovest, Tyler Pina and Vincent Dangerfield.

Voting for the title began at midnight on Wednesday and ended at noon on Friday. All full-time, undergraduate students at the Kent campus were eligible to cast a vote.

Contact Mariam Makatsaria at [email protected].