Kent State annual crime statistics released

Mackenzie Blanton

Kent State released the annual “Campus Safety, Security and Fire Safety Bulletin” on Monday, which contains policies, safety procedures, programs and a safety statistic report from 2012.

Kent State’s Public Safety Department and the Kent Police Department put together the report along with other university departments, according to the bulletin.

The report showed a decrease of on-campus burglaries and liquor-law violations.

The number of burglaries reported on campus property decreased from 30 in 2010 to eight in 2012, according to the bulletin’s statistics, and the number of arrests for liquor-law violations on campus property also decreased from 583 in 2010 to 228 in 2012.

Evacuation procedures, emergency responses, residence-hall procedures and crime-prevention tips are also included in the bulletin among other helpful tips and procedures.

Reports of arson in residence halls increased from one in 2011 to four in 2012. The number of liquor-law violation arrests on public property increased from three in 2010 to 18 in 2012.

The bulletin encourages students to report all crimes to police services in a timely manner. It lists 17 phone numbers for services on the Kent campus that students, staff and faculty may use to report such incidents.

It also includes information on not only how to report residence hall incidents and missing persons but also information on crime and assault prevention programs.

The main campus safety bulletin and those for regional campuses can be found on the Public Safety page of the Kent State website.

Contact Mackenzie Blanton at [email protected].