CCI Film gala accepting student submissions from any major

Alexandra Taylor

The CCI Film and Photography Gala will be held at 6 p.m. on Nov. 8 in the FirstEnergy Auditorium on the third floor of Franklin Hall. General admission is $5 and the dress code is business attire. There will be a reception before the screenings begin. All proceeds from the event go to the Equipment Services Lab for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

The deadline for submissions is Friday. Submissions may be from undergraduate and graduate students of any major. There is a $15 flat fee for all film submissions, which includes two tickets to the gala. Each contestant may enter up to three submissions.

The College of Communication and Information and the Undergraduate Student Government have worked together for the past two years for an annual photo and film event, but this year the focus is completely on student film projects.

“I think this year’s gala, since it’s only focusing on film, its goal is to really get Kent State University’s students’ work out there for the community to see,” said Nicole Gennarelli, graduate assistant inCCI and promotions and marketing for the CCI Film Gala. “Since it’s only film this year, students can focus more on this aspect then trying to do film and photography … it gives students a better opportunity to showcase their work.”

David Sadvari, senior electronic media major and event coordinator for the gala, is making preparations for award sponsors from local Kent businesses and Cleveland film agencies.

“I started [the event] back when I was the CCI Senator and I wanted to see it continue,” Sadvari said.

Some of the awards for the top contestants at the gala include animation software from Maxon, de-noising software from Cinnafilm and book scholarships that go up to $75.

“I’m really excited to go,” said Natalie Moses, CCI Senator for USG and gala facilitator. “I don’t know a lot that goes on in the film side of things. I see a lot of the photography work, so I’m excited to see what students in our college can do.”

Contact Alexandra Taylor at [email protected].