Kent State volleyball hits road for match against Youngstown State

Sophomore defensive specialist Sarah Mills (left) bumps to set up a perfect spike Saturday, August 21, 2013. Kent State will play at Youngstown State Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2013. Photo by Abby Schafer.

Kent Hushion

After a pair of Mid-American Conference matchups, the Kent State volleyball team will travel to Youngstown State on Tuesday to take on the Penguins in a non-conference match.

The Flashes (7-7, 1-1 MAC) are coming off of a split of two conference games last weekend. Following a victory against the Akron Zips in five sets Friday, their 3-1 loss to the Buffalo Bulls Saturday ended a four-match winning streak and evened up their conference record.

The Penguins come into their match with Kent State with an 8-7 record after they defeated the Cleveland State Vikings in three sets last Friday. Youngstown State has won its last four matches, including a pair of wins at the Red Flash Invitational on Sept. 21.

Freshman Bianca Cifaldi leads a young Kent State staff at the outside hitter position, pacing the Flashes in points with 182 and kills with 164. Sophomore Kelly Hutchison is second on the team in kills with 155.

Junior Liz Reikow, who scored 13 kills against Akron on Friday and a career-high 15 kills against Buffalo Saturday, has recorded 108 total kills this season.

Kent State’s defensive efforts are headed by senior Hannah Herc, who leads the team with 248 digs so far this season. Herc’s dig total ranks sixth in the MAC in that category.

The Flashes look to improve their performances on the road, because they are 1-4 this season at opposing teams’ venues. The match between the Flashes and the Penguins is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Contact Kent Hushion at [email protected].