Political science professor to be remembered at Monday memorial

Hilary Crisan

A memorial will be held to remember political science professor Erik Heidemann on Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. at the rock on front campus.

“I think that it’s an important thing to do. It’s a good way for people to remember him,” said Richard Robyn, assistant political science professor for Kent State. “We’re all still in shock about what happened, so it’s a good way for us to try and think about [Heidemann] a little bit more, and talk about [Heidemann] a little bit more, too.”

Students like Emily Crilley, junior broadcast journalism major and past student of Heidemann’s, recall his work as a dedicated professor.

“He was a really great professor who was truly passionate about the subject he taught,” Crilley said. “I’m sure there are a lot of students out there who want to honor him.”

A memorial page was also set up on the Kent State website. It provides links to stories about and tributes to Heidemann, and also includes a monitored comments section, where friends, family, students and staff may leave their tributes about the professor.

According to the memorial page, “Erik was beginning his 2nd year with us at Kent State, and during his short time with us he showed himself to be a stellar teacher, a committed scholar and an active member of the department.”

For more information about the memorial service or to view the memorial page, visit http://www.kent.edu/polisci/heidemann.cfm.

Contact Hilary Crisan at [email protected].