History of SALSA

Robert Carroll

Spanish and Latino Student Association, or SALSA, is a Hispanic organization at Kent State that was established in 1990 and is advised by Yvette Mendoza and Kim Kennedy.

Mendoza said the organization sets a list of objectives to secure the representations of the Latinos and Hispanics at Kent State. Mendoza gave four basic objectives of the organization:

• to serve as a link between the university administration, students and community; to inform the administration of the needs and concerns of Latino/Hispanic students;
  • to educate the university community about issues of importance to Latinos/Hispanics;
  • to increase written and spoken Spanish in the university community; to facilitate interaction between people of all cultures;
  • to provide academic, social and philanthropic programs and activities with the goal of breaking cultural barriers and creating friendship.

The motto, “Creando unidad y familia dentro de la communidad,” means “Creating unity and family within the community.”

All events are designed to make all students of Hispanic and Latino descent welcomed around campus. The idea is so that students of similar descent can be around each other and socialize together.

Mendoza said there are also four upcoming S.A.L.S.A. events during Hispanic Heritage Month that students should know:

• September 24 Bailamos Bachata y Salsa, ORH 5 to 7 p.m.
  • October 2 – Daisy Hernandez: Feminists and Women of Color in Literature Today and in the Past, Kiva 7 to 9 pm – Sponsored by Undergraduate Student Government
  • October 8 – Baile Folklorico (Folkloric Dance) with La Pilarika, Schwartz Auditorium, 7 pm to 9 p.m. – Sponsored by USG
  • October 10 – Bobby Gonzalez: Embrace your roots, create a new future by drawing on your heritage, Governance Chambers 7 to 9 p.m. – Sponsored by USG

For any Latino or Hispanic student on campus interested in joining S.A.L.S.A., can contact Yvette Mendoza at [email protected] for more information.

Contact Robert Carroll at [email protected].