New Kent State sorority begins recruitment

Rachel Purget

Rush commences this week for Phi Mu, the seventh social sorority joining Greek row in an effort to ease this year’s high recruitment demands. The group is looking to fill six leadership positions and is holding open recruitment events Thursday, Sept. 26 and Sept. 30 for all potential new pledges.

Stephanie Tripi, vice president of recruitment and retention for the Pan-Hellenic Council, helped bring the sorority, the second oldest in the country and founded in 1852, to Kent State. The university made Greek history this year, with 691 women participating in rush, with a total of 410 bids extended to new members. Phi Mu is holding its own separate rush, in an effort to break away from the reputations of the already established sororities.

Tables have been set up around the Student Center and the M.A.C. Center this week promoting the new chapter. An informational meet-and-greet among possible new members and sorority leaders, “Pink Goes with Everything,” will be held Sept. 26 in two sessions at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. A philanthropic event in conjunction with the Children’s Miracle Network will be held Sept. 30 at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. in Room 306 of The Student Center.

Jessica Winkles, extension director for Phi Mu, said the sorority hopes to measure up to the existing groups on campus, providing an alternative Greek experience.

“We will bring the opportunity to be a founding member and part of something new,” Winkles said. “As well as opportunities for service and philanthropy, and leadership positions.”

Establishing an on-campus presence will take time, but Phi Mu is trying to overcome this challenge and make the recruitment process as simple as possible. Interviews will be held with potential members to ensure a good fit within the organization. The process will be different from traditional Greek recruitment on campus, Winkles said.

Potential members can apply for Phi Mu via Facebook and an online application at www.gophimu.com.

While leadership positions are not typically available to new pledges in Greek organizations, Phi Mu will present a unique opportunity to become a founding member and establish traditions for the chapter.

Coley Nelson, an outside consultant for Phi Mu, is helping establish the sorority at Kent State.

“It will be the traditional sorority experience, with the added benefit of being able to kind of make it what you want,” Nelson said. “Sometimes the students don’t fit into the mold that they see the established groups have, but being a new group, we don’t have an established reputation. It’s up to those founding members that we end up recruiting to create a reputation on campus.”

Ann-Marie Camputaro, a junior middle childhood education major, hopes that Phi Mu will be a good fit.

“I kind of didn’t feel that connection with any of the other sororities,” Camputaro said. “I actually went through recruitment last semester, and I just didn’t feel like it was the right place for me to be. Maybe with something new I’ll find my place, or maybe not.”

Recruitment will be on going over the next week, with bids being extended Oct. 3.

Contact Rachel Purget at [email protected]