Campus counseling services available to students facing challenges at Kent State

Jacqueline DeMate

It’s not unusual to feel alone and overwhelmed when leaving home and starting college.

But worry not — Kent State offers a breadth of psychological services to students and staff.

“We have three different counseling centers on campus, but Psychological Services is the one associated with University Health Services, and we have licensed providers,” said Dr. Pamela Farer-Singleton, chief psychologist at Psychological University Health Services. “The other two clinics are training clinics under the supervision of licensed professionals. All together we serve students who are either part-time or fully enrolled at Kent’s campus.”

GET HELP

To set up an appointment at the psychological clinic in Kent Hall, call 330.672.2372

To contact Psychological Services in DeWeese Health Center, call 330.672.2487

Farer-Singleton and Alanna Updegraff, assistant professor of psychology and the director of the Psychological Clinic, both said the clinic and Psychological Services provide a wide range of services for counseling, including depression and anxiety. Psychological Services is located in the DeWeese Health Center and the psychological clinic is in Kent Hall.

There is a difference between the two services when it comes to payment. Psychological Services allows you to use your insurance to pay for the appointment, but you will have to pay a small fee per visit at the clinics Updegraff said.

“Kent State is lucky to have multiple places on campus that can provide counseling services,” Updegraff said.

Psychological Services and the Psychological Clinic do more than just provide basic counseling services. Psychological Services is starting a new initiative called “Stand Up. Speak Out.” to educate staff, students and the community about how to recognize symptoms of depression and how to handle it, Farer-Singleton said.

The psychological clinic has started a new group called “G.E.A.R.S.” — “Guided Education Attention and Retention Skills.” The group was set up to help promote success in classes.

All services through both Psychological Services and the psychological clinic are confidential.

Contact Jacqueline DeMate at [email protected].