New community garden grows on Kent State grounds

Cindy Widuck, 51, adds leaf compost to her garden plot at the Allerton Community Garden Sunday morning. Widuck has two plots and said she gives some of her herbs and vegtables to Campus Kitchen at Kent State. Photo by Brittney Trojanowski.

Cindy Deng

Mathematics specialist Randy Ruchotzke chuckles in excitement as he sees a leafy green stem peak out of his tomato plot in Kent State’s new community garden. The garden, which opened up to students, faculty, staff and community members last month, is located where Allerton Apartments once stood.

In June, Kent State’s Sustainability Task Force sent a request to the Portage Local Food’s Facebook page and Kent State’s Human Resource Department about getting involved with the new community garden. According to the July 2013 Wellness newsletter, a publication of Human Resources, those interested got to choose between three different plot sizes entirely free of charge. Melanie Knowles, sustainability manager of Facilities, Planning and Design, said she received an overwhelming response and was able to get all 40 plots occupied.

“There have been a lot of people around campus who have expressed interest in a community garden over the years,” Knowles said. “We just thought it was time and see what kind of participation we’ll get.”

Since the garden is sitting on the footprint of the Allerton Apartments, Knowles said it’s “not really the healthiest soil” to work with. She said her and other gardeners have been bringing in soil, humus and other necessary nutrients to keep the garden healthy.

“A big part of our work this year is to enrich the soil,” Knowles said. “Some are struggling and some are doing well, but hopefully by next year we’ll have much richer soil.”

Ruchotzke said he only has one 5-by-20-feet plot for just tomatoes, which have been growing well. He said he hopes to bring home tomatoes from his garden to make fresh salsa for his children.

“I love the taste of fresh food and I love having a variety of tastes,” Ruchotzke said. “My KSU community garden has 27 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. Sure, I can purchase heirloom tomatoes at a local farmers’ market, but I love to grow varieties beyond what is available commercially.”

Cindy Widuck, project director for the Department of Psychology and community member, said she has two 5-by-20-feet plots planted with a variety of vegetables. She said she is planning on donating one of the plots’ crops to the Campus Kitchen Project.

“I’m always looking for ways to help out in the community,” Widuck said. “The garden hasn’t produced much yet. Hopefully in the next week I should start having tomatoes and zucchini to donate.”

Knowles said this summer’s gardening is acting as a “trial year” to see what they can do to improve the garden next year. She said the current gardeners are looking to expand their plot size next year. Depending on the number of applicants reserved for next year, Knowles said she will look into expanding the garden to accommodate more members.

“The Wellness did an article about it and I’ve already had three people since then contacted me saying ‘Is there any room left? What about next year?’” Knowles said. “If people want to garden and it’s a good community, which so far has been really great, then I don’t see why we wouldn’t expand to accommodate if you want to join.”

Contact Cindy Deng at [email protected].