New interim dean for College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology announced

Cheyenne Perry

Robert Sines was named interim dean of the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology in May, after serving 27 years at Kent State.

Sines was formerly a dean and chief administrative officer at Kent State Trumbull. There, he also worked as assistant professor, associate professor, assistant dean and associate dean.

“Kent is a great place to work,” Sines said.

Sines enjoyed teaching at the Trumbull campus for more than 13 years, he said. He had to change his mindset when he transitioned from faculty to administration. Now that he has moved from a regional campus to the main campus, he has to readjust again.

“It’s different,” he said. “There are more things going on. I’m getting used to the flow of things.”

Sines said he spent time in Trumbull getting to know his students because he wanted to be approachable. He said he hopes, in time, he will have the same rapport at the main campus as he did with students in Trumbull.

“I’m a hands-on manager,” he said. “I like to get down and mingle with staff and students. I’ve always had an open door policy.”

Sines brings with him a background in business technology and a history of service as a 20-year veteran of the U.S. Army.

Contact Cheyenne Perry at [email protected].