LGBTQ Center to open registration for Lavender Graduation

Kelsey Leyva

Registration to attend the LGBTQ Center’s Lavender Graduation is open now through April 19.

The Lavender Graduation will be April 29 at 5 p.m. in the Kent State Student Center Ballroom, which will feature keynote speaker Molly Merryman, an associate professor of sociology, recognition ceremony and underclassmen award presentation.

Roxie Patton, program coordinator for the LGBTQ Center, has been involved with the planning and has attended a lavender graduation in the past.

“It’s just a really great way for the community to come together in a way that supports people who maybe have not had the family support that they needed,” Patton said. “I went through a lavender graduation when I got my master’s degree and it was a really great experience.”

Patton stressed the fact that the event is open to all those who wish to attend and/or participate.

“You don’t have to be a graduating senior or a member of the LGBTQ community,” she said. “You can be an ally and just want to come and show your support. It is open to students of all standings.”

The event is free, but those who wish to attend must register by April 19 because the event includes a plated dinner. Students can register at http://bit.ly/10QeTUn. For more information, contact Patton at 330-672-8580 or [email protected]

Contact Kelsey Leyva at [email protected].