New Dunkin’ Donuts to open near campus

Michael Jermann

City building officials have given the green light for construction of a new Dunkin’ Donuts at 525 E. Main St. across from the Kent State University campus.

According to Kent Patch, construction will take three to four months at the projected cost of $700,000.

Dunkin’ Donuts will be competing for business in Kent with Aunt Mary Ann Donuts, located at 1444 E. Main St.

Danielle Brickwood, marketing manager for Aunt Mary Ann Donuts, said she welcomes the competition and does not believe that having the national doughnut chain so close will have a negative impact on their business.

Heidi Shaffer, councilwoman, said the city is trying to become a more business-friendly community and Dunkin’ Donuts will be a part of that.

Shaffer said she isn’t big on franchises but believes that Dunkin’ Donuts will serve the community well.

She said she was disappointed that the franchise will be tearing down a boarding house located behind the lot in order to make room for more parking.

“I preferred the version where they were going to have less parking and focus more on being sort of a walk-in kind of place,” Shaffer said.

Regardless of the size of the building, some students on campus are excited for the new business.

Angel Brown, a senior teaching English as a second language major, said she looks forward to having another coffee option around campus other than Starbucks.

“People talk about Starbucks too much,” Brown said. “I’d go in [to Dunkin’ Donuts] just to try some different coffee.”

Other students are less enthusiastic about the new franchise.

“I don’t eat doughnuts or drink coffee,” said Anthony Parker, senior computer animation major at the Tuscarawas campus. “So I am unaffected by a Dunkin’ Donuts being built.”

According to Kent Patch, Dunkin’ Donuts will open as early as September.

Contact Michael Jermann at [email protected].