News on the Go: March 5, 2013

Maura Zurick

Forty-eight Syrian soldiers who were part of a group that crossed into Iraq were killed Monday. The soldiers were crossing borders for refuge but were ambushed when they arrived in Iraq with bombs, gunfire and grenades. This attack raised concerns that Iraq could be drawn into the Syrian civil war. Iraqi officials stated that the country is remaining neutral.

Read the full story here.

Twelve former Florida A&M University band members were charged Monday with manslaughter in the 2011 hazing death of the marching band’s drum major. The death of 26-year-old Robert Champion resulted in 10 band members being charged with third-degree felony hazing as well as an additional manslaughter charge that was added Monday. Two other band members have also been charged. If convicted, the manslaughter charge has a penalty of up to 15 years in prison.

Read the full story here.

One of the seven Saudis set to be executed Tuesday by crucifixion and firing squad appealed for help to halt the executions. Nasser al-Qahtani spoke to The Associated Press from Abha General Prison Monday and said that he was arrested for armed robbery as a part of a 23-member ring that stole from jewelry stores in 2004 and 2005. He said they were tortured and had no access to lawyers. He claims that he did not have a weapon and faced brutal punishments until he admitted that he did. As he spoke to the AP, he used a smuggled cellphone to make his pleas for help. A leading human rights group added its appeal to Saudi authorities to stop the executions.

Casey Anthony appeared in public Monday for the first time since she was acquitted of murder. Anthony was at a bankruptcy hearing in Tampa and told the court that she has no car or job. She filed for bankruptcy in January claiming $1,000 in assets and $792,000 in liabilities. Despite the fact that she claims to have no money, Anthony had five attorneys representing her at the hearing. Her debts include more than $500,000 from defense costs, law enforcement costs and money and fines owed to the Internal Revenue Service.

California police are investigating the death of a woman at an independent-living facility. The woman died after a nurse refused to provide CPR. The facilty, Glenwood Gardens, said the nurse had followed policy. She collapsed in the dining room and was still breathing when the 911 call was made. The dispatcher pleaded with the nurse, asking her as a “human being” to perform CPR and save the woman’s life. Firefighters and paramedics arrived seven minutes after the call came in. The woman died at the hospital.

In a Jewish community in Brooklyn, members mourned on Monday the death of a baby who was delivered by cesarean section after his parents were killed in a hit-and-run crash Sunday. Police are still looking for the suspected driver, who was identified as Julio Acevedo. Witnesses said he was speeding down the street in a BMW going 60 mph, which is twice the legal speed limit. He hit the car that was bringing the infant’s parents to the hospital.

All information is from The Associated Press.

Contact Maura Zurick at [email protected].