News on the Go: March 21, 2013

Leighann McGivern

Officials at a Pennsylvania high school are asking students to stop wearing body spray to school after a student was recently taken to the hospital after being exposed to Axe Body Spray. The student was severely allergic to the spray, and Unilever, the makers of Axe, said they are looking into the report.

A federal judge dismissed claims Wednesday against a BP contractor and a company that made a safety device on the drilling rig that exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, which caused the massive oil spill. The judge ruled there was no evidence that BP’s drilling fluids contractor made any decision that caused the explosion. Read more here.

A northern Utah sheriff’s office came up with an idea to put ankle monitors on seniors with Alzheimer’s and dementia as a means of keeping them safe. The ankle monitors would be similar to those worn by criminals on house arrest or parole. The sheriff said the monitors would allow deputies to quickly find a person who has wandered off, which could potentially save lives and avoid time-consuming searches. Alzheimer’s Association officials said the ankle monitors aren’t a realistic solution because people wouldn’t want to wear them. Read more here.

A 3-year-old boy is safe after being taken hostage from a city bus in northern Indiana on Wednesday. Forty-five-year-old Kenneth Knight allegedly pulled a woman off the bus, fatally shot her and then took the 3-year-old hostage. Knight was killed by a sniper during a police standoff. It is not clear whether the shooting was random or if any relationship existed between Knight, the woman and the child.

Contact Leighann McGivern at [email protected].