Students create thrifty outfits for Goodwill fashion show

Models show off their fashions after the Goodwill Fashin Show in Rockwell on Feb. 15. Photo by Jacob Byk .Sarah Pohan (left) and on the right is the president of Fashion Student Organization hand flowers to the judges for their help with the Goodwill Fashion Show on Feb. 15. Photo by Jacob Byk.

Morgan Jupina

“I feel like a futuristic soldier,” Luo said. “A very sexy soldier.”

Guo, sophomore fashion design major, said the top and bottom of her look was made entirely of skirts. Guo said she had to cut and sew the skirts to fit her model in a pair of high-waist shorts.

“Now I can figure out different things to use from the styles and materials and even colors,” Gou said. “This gave me a lot of experience.”

Chad Clawson, junior fashion merchandising student, said he has been a member of FSO for three years and finally decided to model his own look.

”My friend did the show last year and watching her model and create a look was so exciting,” Clawson said. “I thought I’d step up my game this year and put forth an outfit.”

Clawson said he went with a sophisticated look. He wore a mint green button down, a vest and a leather jacket. He paired the garments with a pair of grey skinny-jeans.

Clawson said the show had a lot of good energy to feed off of.

“My favorite part about tonight is to see all of the exciting things that everyone has created and come up with,” Clawson said.” Before even knowing about the show, everyone thinks thrift stores are grungy, but I found so many exciting things that I know Kent State students could be wearing everyday.”

William Perrine, the faculty advisor of FSO and fashion professor, said he has overseen FSO for six years.

“I really try to not influence the students or tell them what they should do or shouldn’t do,” Perrine said. “I really try to let it be the student’s show.”

Perrine said he hopes the show taught the audience what is available outside of the mall.

“When you buy something at a thrift store and repurpose it or reuse it, you’re giving it a second life,” Perrine said. “You’re able to get something really cool that no one else has and it’s usually pretty cheap.”

Meinhardt said the show had a huge influence on the audience.

“The people that came to the show have a budget and won’t be buying designer things,” Meinhardt said.” I think that’s what this industry is all about, to find something that looks really nice and really cute and making it so your market can afford it. It shows people all the cool things we can do from thrift stores and encourage them that they don’t have to spend a lot.”

Contact Morgan Jupina at [email protected].