Kent State not the only Ohio university with overload fees

Katie Nix, Lyndsey Schley

“Everybody already has an anticipated date of graduation and to put that kind of law in place now kind of messes up everybody’s schedule because then you have to take less classes, take less credits and that eventually affects your graduation date in the future. I’m actually doing a double major in business management and accounting, so I’ve been always taking 18 credits since I was a freshman. This semester I wanted to take 19 credits to meet my graduation date for 2014, but I’m afraid now with the whole $440 increase, I’ll have to take less than that.”

Junior business management major Bitrus Audu

“I think that, if they require a certain amount of credits to graduate, you want to get that done as soon as you can, and so you want to take as many credits as you want. I think they’re making it a little bit harder to do that and get your degree fast, so I don’t like it. If [students] are going to work that hard, they should have a break.”

Sophomore public health major Taylor Krebs

“Seventeen’s where it is now and it’s still not enough. If someone wants to get their schooling done sooner, they’re not able to, especially if they can’t pay for it and they don’t have the money. If it’s getting moved down to 16 next year, what’s to keep them from [continuing] to move it down the year after that just to get more money? … You know students are going to need more than 16 credit hours.”

Freshman physical education major Brandon Taylor

Contact Lyndsey Schley at [email protected].