Speed dating allows students to find someone special

Rachael Le Goubin

Kent State students attempt to find that special someone in time for Valentine’s Day by participating in speed dating held in the student center on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013. Photo by Rachel Le Goubin.

Caitlin Potts

Cupid’s arrow was on target as students attended Speed Dating on Feb. 7.

With approximately 25 tables outlining the room in the Student Center, seats filled in minutes.

Ephraim Butler, sophomore communication studies major, explained men would sit on one side of the tables and women would sit on the other. However, due to a large turnout, many students had to wait their turn to sit down because there were not enough chairs.

Students of all ages and backgrounds attended in hope of having a great time and finding someone compatible.

K-Ci & JoJo’s “All My Life” played as the flirtatious meetings began.

Some students complimented each other’s good looks, and others expressed their nerves.

The conversations lasted three minutes before students switched.

A table in the center of the room featured chocolate-covered strawberries and heart-shaped cookies. With an over-packed room, many of the participants chatted while snacking.

“I met people and we had a lot of common interests,” said Dakota Lindesmith, freshman dance performance major. “I made connections with snowboarders, and I love snowboarding.”

Shamara Costa, sophomore musical theatre major, also found sparks and plans to stay in touch.

“I sat down, and I didn’t know immediately, I’ll admit,” Costa said. “But once we got to talking, and I discovered he was also a sophomore and theatre major, it just went from there.”

Sariya Winters, graduate assistant, and Halie Morgan, sophomore nutrition and food major, planned most of the event.

“It’s a new thing we’re doing just this year,” Morgan said. “If it goes well, and it looks like it’s going pretty good, then we’ll hopefully do it again next year.”

With Valentine’s Day looming, the romance-themed festivities will continue next week. Butler said there will be an event called “Single Ladies on Valentine’s Day” Feb. 14.

The event was sponsored by Kent Student Center Programming.

Contact Caitlin Potts at [email protected].