Festival of Nations celebrates Kent State’s diversity

During the Festival of Nations on thursday, freshman fashion merchandising major Rachael Karlozi performs a Russian dance during a game of “Russian Roulette” while her friend, Nic Talbott, a sophomore sociology major, looks on. Photo by Melanie Nesteruk.

Ben Miller

Kent State’s International Mentors group and Kent State Interhall Council (KIC) co-hosted “Festival of Nations” Wednesday evening in the Student Center ballroom.

Residence halls participated in the Festival of Nations by decorating tables with pictures and items from around the world. Altogether the residence halls represented almost 30 different countries and cultures.

Students had the chance to get free, foreign food and other goodies at the event. The Office of Global Education hosted a raffle at the event for students to win travel-themed prizes. There also was trivia for students to answer and learn about other countries.

The celebration featured traditional dances, along with the Brazilian drum-band, Samba Joia, a Cleveland-based band specializing in traditional Brazilian and Hispanic rhythm.

Breta Moore, KIC representative and freshman history major, said she was pleased with the night’s turnout.

“There’s so much for students to see,” Moore said of the event, “so much for students to do and so much for students to learn. It was quite a party.”

Contact Ben Miller at [email protected].