Kent State Stark honors student artwork at Scholastic Art Exhibition

Cassandra Beard

Kent State Stark plans to display the artwork of middle and high school students from Tuesday to Jan. 30.

Public and private school students in Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit, Wayne and Tuscarawas counties were eligible to participate in the 2013 competition. Kent State Stark was selected to be an affiliate of the Scholastic Art Awards in 2000 by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers, a national organization in New York City.

“Kent State University at Stark is a good fit with the goals of the Arts of Alliance because the Stark Campus has a long history of community engagement particularly in the cultural arts,” wrote Jack McWhorter, associate art professor at Kent State Stark, in an e-mail.

More than 1,200 students have submitted 4,031 creations for the 59th Annual Northeast Central Ohio Scholastic Art and Awards Exhibit.

McWhorter said the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers identifies the teenagers with “exceptional and literary talent” and places their work in front of a national audience through The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards.

According to the Kent State Stark Website, the Campus Center, Main Hall Art Gallery and Fine Arts Building will showcase the various styles of artwork from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. The galleries are free and open to the public.

“I’ve seen the show many times its been held at the campus,” said Daniel McLaughlin, senior fine arts major. “I think it’s a great show and an opportunity to expose work to an audience of all types.”

The types of artwork submitted in this year’s exhibit include ceramics, glass, comic art, digital art, drawing, film, animation, painting, photography and sculpture, among other types.

“I’ve always had a passion for art and it’s exciting when you find ways to be successful with what you’re passionate about,” McLaughlin said. “Hosting the show at our campus is perfect being that it is a local institute and the focus is on liberal arts.”

McWhorter said 30 judges selected 595 honorable mentions, 360 Silver Key and 335 Gold Key works and five American Vision nominees.

He said the American Vision nominee winners and Gold Key winners, as well as portfolio finalists, will move on to the national level taking place in New York City. The Gold Key award is the highest possible award at the regional competition.

McWhorter said two schools of art would award scholarships. One of these scholarships will come from Kent State University.

The regional awards ceremony will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday in the University Center at Kent Stark.

Cassandra Beard is the regional campus reporter for the Daily Kent Stater. For more information, Contact Cassandra Beard at [email protected].