Vocal performance majors prepare for recitals

Rebecca Campbell

As most students are studying for tests and planning group projects, vocal performance majors are preparing for their junior and senior recitals, which began Nov. 2. Recitals take place in the Ludwig Recital Hall every Friday and Saturday in November. Juniors sing for a half-hour; seniors sing for about an hour and a half. Just like for a test, if they don’t do well, they can’t go on to be a senior or graduate the program. And you thought your midterm was hard.

Name: Collin Rowe

Senior vocal performance major

Recital: 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday

Why study vocal performance?

I got off to a later start because I was originally a physics major, but I realized I didn’t want to do that anymore. I went into the sciences because of the job aspect, because you could get a job right after college. But once I started taking those classes, I didn’t feel the passion like I did for music. I didn’t want to do something for the rest of my life that I wasn’t happy with. So, I switched to music because it’s always been a big part of my life.

Favorite singer or composer?

[Franz] Schubert’s music is really fun to sing. I’m a baritone and he writes a lot of beautiful music for a baritone voice.

How long have you been singing?

I’ve been involved with music for about 17 years. My parents were always involved in the church choir, so I would go with them and get involved. In middle school is when I started singing a lot, and in high school I just kept growing as a singer.

Name: Kelsey Rice

Senior vocal performance major

Recital: 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday

Biggest challenge:

I am singing nine songs, so the biggest challenge is memorization and nerves.

How do you prepare for the recital?

Well, if you bomb the recital, you can’t go on in vocal performance. So, you have to prepare all semester. I was given parts of songs [spring] semester, and I am using a couple songs from my sophomore year. I also learned new songs this semester that I am singing.

Favorite singer or composer?

I am doing three sets by Stefano Donaudy, an Italian composer. It’s really gorgeous. It’s very expressive and I’m a soprano, so it matches my voice and it really shows it off.

Why vocal performance?

I like to sing, and I have a passion for music. I really got into singing in middle school. One day I want to help other people with music, and I want to teach voice lessons. Kids need to know more about classical music.

Contact Rebecca Campbell at [email protected].