Future Focused Fridays connect students with industry professionals

Future Focused Fridays banner.jpg

Josie Bixler Reporter

Future Focused Fridays are coming to a close Nov. 20, but will begin again in the spring semester with more resources.

The Future Focused Friday events began this summer as a response to COVID-19 and act as a virtual outlet for students and alumni to learn and ask questions about career-related topics. Sessions covering pay negotiations, resumes, LinkedIn and exploring career options have been the most popular, said Julie Paskiet, the senior career advisor for Career Exploration and Development.

“The goal is to provide a weekly structured discussion and space for students to regularly find information on career-related topics,” Paskiet said, reading from the notes she used to propose the idea of Future Focused Fridays.

On average, 10-15 students join the meetings, and can listen to a half hour presentation and then participate in a half hour discussions with other students and Career Exploration and Development advisors. If students are unable to attend a live event the sessions are recorded, Paskiet said.

Next semester Paskiet and her team plan to include industry professionals and employers to expand opportunities for students, while continuing through the online platform.

“We’ve been able to reach a lot of freshmen in FYE classes, as well as a good number of students through other grades all the way to alumni, so even when in-person events are easier to host we will continue a virtual option.”

Josie Bixler covers job and money. Contact her at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.