Breast-casting event promotes cancer awareness and healthy body image

Plaster casts of volunteers chests during the breast cancer awareness event at Kent State Stark Campus on Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Tyra Byrd

Plaster casts of volunteer’s chests during the breast cancer awareness event at Kent State Stark Campus on Oct. 25, 2011. Photo by Tyra Byrd

Rachel Sluss

Kent State University Stark Campus hosted its third annual Breast/Chest Casting event Tuesday from noon to 6 p.m.

Breast casting takes place across the country, but organizer Katrina Bloch brought the idea to Kent State Stark. The campus has used the event to raise awareness during Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Both women and men were encouraged to come to the casting to make a plaster mold of their chests. Each participant brought a buddy into the private room to help create the replica. The process involved dipping plaster strips into warm water and placing them over the bare chest. It took approximately 30 minutes to complete the mold.

Participants could either have their mold placed on a display in the Fine Arts Building or take it home. This event raised awareness about breast cancer and promoted openness about the human body.

“There are images everywhere that tell us we should look unreal,” Bloch said. “This is to show that we should not be ashamed of our bodies. It’s meant to foster appreciation instead.”

Bloch said she knew of one person who was a victim of breast cancer that casted her breast. She was appreciative of women and men raising awareness for victims in such a bold way.

Donna Pugh, Kent State alumnus, signed up to take part in the breast casting for the first time.

“I think the whole body is awesome,” Pugh said. “I love when it’s praised in a tasteful manner. When something is done to promote the body in a tasteful and healthy manner, I like that.”

The event will conclude with a display of casted breasts in the Fine Arts Building at Kent State Stark.

Contact Rachel Sluss at [email protected]