Campus parking affected by Obama visit

Rob Rompala

President Barack Obama’s visit to Kent Wednesday will impact certain parking areas around campus.

Parking Lots Affected

• The R-11 lot, located behind the Kent Student Center and MAC Center, will close at 11 p.m. Tuesday and will remain closed all day Wednesday.
  • The R-3 lot, located next to Taylor Hall, will be closed starting 11 p.m. Tuesday and will remain closed all day Wednesday. This location is closed for all students, faculty and staff.
  • Midway Drive from Theatre Drive to the MAC Center will be closed starting 11 p.m. Tuesday and will remain closed all day Wednesday. Guests will still be able to walk on the east side of the road and to all buildings in that area.
  • Visitor parking and metered parking in front of the MAC Center will be available all day Wednesday, but spaces are limited.

Emily Vincent, director of university media relations, said the university is encouraging students to car-pool and arrive early to the M.A.C. Center.

“The areas closest to the M.A.C. Center will be impacted starting Tuesday at 11 p.m.,” Vincent said.

Vincent said the majority of the students who have tickets already live on campus or have a parking pass and will not be affected by the parking restrictions. Guests arriving from off campus should be aware of the parking lots that will be closed during this event.

Vincent said guests coming to the Kent State campus should park in the commuter lots. These lots are located next to the Schwartz Center, across from the Kent Student Center, and by the Liquid Crystal Materials Science Building along Summit Street.

Some streets around campus will be closed Wednesday because of Obama’s presidential motorcade, Vincent said. However, it is standard procedure that this information is not released to the public. Vincent said to be aware of unanticipated detours and closings around campus Wednesday.

The restricted areas will re-open after the event ends Wednesday, Vincent said.

“We ask that people park in other close locations,” Vincent said. “It’s only a one-day inconvenience, but people have to understand it’s for the President of the United States.”

Contact Rob Rompala at [email protected].