10 things you shouldn’t miss this semester

Sheryl Crow performs at the MLB All-Star Charity Concert under the Gateway Arch in July 2009. Photo courtesy of Erik Lunsford.

DKS Staff

Sheryl Crow

1. Singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow will perform at Kent State Sept. 8 at 6 p.m. at Dix Stadium. Crow is a Grammy-Award-winning artist. Also performing are O.A.R., a band formed at The Ohio State University, and Los Lonely Boys, a Texas band famous for its single “Heaven.” Crow’s performance marks the conclusion of Kent State’s Centennial Campaign, a $250 million fundraising effort. Tickets went on sale April 17. Chair seats are $50 and bleacher seats are $35. Student seats are discounted to $30 for floor seats and $20 for bleacher seats. The doors open, rain or shine, at 5 p.m.

Demo week at the Rec

2. Curious about the Student Recreation and Wellness Center? Kent State’s Recreational Services is offering a week of demo classes. In anticipation of its fall lineup of fitness and wellness instructional sessions, the Rec is offering students a free week to test the waters of what is shaping up to be an action-packed program. This week, students can take a hike to the Rec and sneak a peek during scheduled demo dates. Classes include boxing, self defense, TRX cardio fusion and many more for students who would like to sample what the Rec has on its plate. Check out the Fitness and Wellness section of the Recreational Services’ website for the semester’s full schedule and free demo dates.

Weekday men’s basketball game on ESPN

3. The men’s basketball team doesn’t typically play at noon on a Tuesday, but that’s when the Nov. 13 season opener against Temple will tip off. The game is part of an ESPN marathon in which the network nationally televises 24 consecutive hours of basketball games on the first day of the collegiate season. Kent State last hosted such a game in 2010, defeating Robert Morris at an 8 a.m. game.The Flashes are coming off their 13th 20-win season in 14 years, but lost six of their final eight games and fell short of the conference title. Temple was 24-8 last season and has reached the NCAA tournament each of the past five seasons.

Movie nights

4. Movie junkies have two cheap ways to keep up with new releases. For students who don’t have a car on campus, worry not. Kent’s Late Night Reel Early Bird program shows movies at the Kiva that are not yet released as DVDs. To start off the semester, movies such as “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” and “The Avengers” will be playing. If driving is an option, head to the Kent Plaza Theater, located in the University Plaza, on Mondays. New releases show for a mere $5, which includes a free bag of delicious, buttery popcorn.

“Taste of Kent”

5. Dining Services has scheduled its annual “Taste of Kent” event for Sept. 20 at the Student Center. Many campus dining spots and local businesses appear at “Taste of Kent” and give away free samples of various menu items.

Art in the Park

6. Kent’s 19th annual Art in the Park is a free art festival in Fred Fuller Park each year. This year’s event, Sept. 8 and 9, will feature photography, paintings, apparel, ceramics, metal and woodworking, live entertainment and a number of other attractions. Kent Parks and Recreation Department puts the event on each year and also books food vendors and children’s art stations. Free parking is available at the park.

.

Akron/KSU Wagon Wheel game

7. In 1870, businessman and philanthropist John R. Buchtel was riding across northeast Ohio looking for an area to start a university. The conditions were muddy, and one of the wheels broke off his wagon and was buried somewhere on the very grounds we study, learn and fraternize today. Buchtel, undeterred by his difficult commute, would end up founding Buchtel College a mere 10 miles away. Workers constructing a pipeline along the Western Reserve discovered the severed wheel in 1902. The wheel eventually fell into the hands of Raymond Manchester, Kent State’s dean. Since 1945, cross-town rivals Kent State and Akron have battled for the Wagon Wheel while alternating home and away games. This year, the Zips come to Dix Stadium hoping to avenge last season’s 35-3 loss.

Haymaker Farmer’s Market

8. There’s nothing like a good fresh bounty of produce; and anyone near downtown Kent Saturday mornings before the end of October can take in the Haymaker Farmers’ Market’s local plethora of fruits and vegetables. Located in the gravel lots along Franklin Avenue between College and Summit Streets, the nonprofit market — recognized by the State of Ohio in 2009 — provides a splash of flavor and nutrition while promoting local agriculture and community. “Music @ the Market,” a series conceived to feature local musical talent, will perpetuate the theme of interconnectedness and a positive, public, healthy gathering. Parking is available close to the market or across Summit Street.

Alcohol at the football stadium

9. For students of age, Dix Stadium is one of the only public universities to sell beer in its stadium. It is one of only about 20 other Football Bowl Subdivision venues that sells beer to the public.

.

Art of Contrast Fashion Show

10. Directly from the talent of one of the country’s best fashion schools, Kent State’s annual Art of Contrast fashion show hits the runway each fall. Organized by the school’s Fashion Student Organization and designed by any collection of university students, the show is judged by a professional panel and hands out a number of prizes to its winners. Among the typical categories are best model, best design and best collection. Look for the show in the next few months– it has been slated for November the past two years.

This story was compiled by the Daily Kent Stater staff.