Student arrested after allegedly threatening to “shoot up” campus

William Koberna

William Koberna

Leighann McGivern

William Koberna, 19, a sophomore, was arrested today at his parents’ home in Brunswick after allegedly making threats to “shoot up” the university, according to a university source. Koberna is en route to the Portage County Jail at this time.

According to the Kent State University police, there is “no immediate threat to the university.”

KentWired.com will continue to follow the story as it develops.

UPDATE:

Kent State University Police have charged Koberna, a sophomore computer science major, with inducing panic, a fifth-degree felony, and aggravated menacing, a first-degree misdemeanor.

Koberna’s charges are the result of a public tweet in which he allegedly threatened violence to the university campus, according to a university press release.

Koberna, a former Kent resident, currently lives in Brunswick, where he was arrested on a warrant at his home late Sunday afternoon. He was taken into custody without incident.

Koberna will be arraigned Monday, and will face university hearings that could result in his suspension or dismissal.

“Any threat to our campus community is taken seriously and immediately investigated,” said Kent State University President Lester Lefton in a university press release. “Our students, employees, and all those who come to campus should know that their safety is our top priority.”

View the university’s press release here.