Kent Stark releases theater schedule

Meghan Caprez

Kent State Stark Campus recently announced its 2012-2013 theater season, featuring performances by students and faculty.

“All the plays during the season have to do with relationships. It just sort of turned out that way,” Theater director Brian Newberg said. “I’m particularly interested in plays above others that also relate to the lives of many of our students.”

Students will perform Sam Shepard’s “Buried Child,” a drama about the collapse of the American dream. The show will run November 2-4 and 9-11.

Next, the musical “I Love You Because” will hit the Kent State Stark Fine Arts Theatre stage February 15-17 and 22-24. The show explores a contemporary spin on Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice.”

“Voices from Hurt Street” will run April 12-14 and 19-21. This multi-genre piece will be written and produced by Kent State Stark students based on their personal experiences. A group of 16 students were chosen to write the show in a class during the Fall 2012 semester, Newberg said.

“‘Voices from Hurt Street’ is going to be real special,” Newberg said.

Finally, students, faculty and guest actors will perform an opera adaptation of Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible” June 7-9. This is the first time there have been four shows in one season at Kent State Stark, Newberg said.

For more information on the 2012-2013 season, visit the Kent State University at Stark Theatre website.

Contact Meghan Caprez at [email protected].