Track and field takes 12 individual titles

Daniel Staimpel

The Kent State track and field proved victorious in 12 events at the University of Akron’s Northeast Ohio Quad meet April 13 and 14. In the team score, the women defeated all three teams they competed against, while the men beat Youngstown State and Ashland, but once again failed to beat rival Akron.

Sophomore Shanequa Williams won the women’s 100-meter dash with a mark of 11.79, fourth in Kent State history. On the men’s side, senior Princeton Bryson, in his first individual outdoor race of the season, won with a time of 10.53.

Senior Penina Acayo once again won the women’s triple jump with a meet high 40’-07.00” while senior Mike Carroll on the men’s team won his first triple jump with a mark of 46’-04.75.”

In the women’s 400-meter hurdles, senior Andreea Patrasc record a time of 1:02.18, Kent States fastest time in the event this season. Miles Dunlap also excelled in the men’s 400-meter hurdles with a PR of 53.11, ninth in Kent State history.

The Flashes also swept the 4×400-meter relays to finish of the Quad. The women’s team of sophomore Erica Hutson, freshman Roseanne Erickson, freshman Lynnese Beyan and freshman Olivia Hallstein won by almost a full 10 seconds with a time of 3:54.93.

Freshman Dillon Corbett, sophomore Marteze Roper, senior Colin Pettiford and Dunlap ran a thrilling 4×400-meter relay race. On the final lap, they lost their lead to Akron only to regain it and defeat Akron’s team by two-hundredths of a second. They finished with a time of 3:18.02.

In the women’s 400-meter dash, Hutson placed first with a time of 56.80, while freshman Kaila Gardner placed second with 58.30.

Crossing the finish line first with a time of 2:20.47, senior Danielle Dougherty won the women’s 800-meter run for Kent State.

Junior Sara Oczypok and sophomore C.J. Carlisle received first and second place in the women’s Javelin throw. Oczypok’s 151’-00” beat out Carlisle’s mark of 148’-07”

Sophomore Joh’vonnie Mosley continues to dominate in her throwing events, throwing the shot put 50’-05.00.”

Kent State will return to action next week with several invitational scheduled, including the Beach Invitational in California.

Contact Daniel Staimpelat [email protected] or @dstaimpeldks