Staul re-elected as college Dems president

Sade Hale

Members of the Kent State College Democrats re-elected Bryan Staul as their president Thursday night during a special election meeting.

Staul said he is excited for his new term. He also pointed out that this is a first for the College Democrats.

“I’m the first College Democrat to be elected as president for a second term,” Staul said. “Most presidents serve one term.”

Brandon Stephens was elected as the vice president of the organization. Stephens was previously the political director for the organization.

“It feels good knowing that I can do good for the organization, college and the country,” Stephens said. “As VP my job is to be the main liaison between the College Democrats, other student organizations and off campus organizations. I want to reach out to student organizations and other off campus organizations.”

Stephens plans to run for a political office one day.

“I plan on sticking to state politics, but I’m not ruling out national,” Stephens said.

Jake Green was elected as the communication director. Green already has plans for getting the organization’s name out to students. Green wants to use social media and simply just talk to students.

“I want to use social media,” Green said. “We spend our whole lives on Facebook; it only makes sense.”

The group also elected Lorie Gantz as the membership director, James King as treasurer, Molly Knight as political director and Jess Haley as the organization’s secretary.

Although all of the candidates ran uncontested, each candidate had to be nominated by a fellow member of the organization.

“The membership is extremely confident in the executive board’s ability to make decisions,” Staul said. “It’s finally a united organization, which is hard to come by these days.”

The positions of historian, parliamentarian, and rapid response chair are appointed positions and will be appointed at the beginning of next year by the new executive board.

Contact Sade Hale at [email protected].