Centennial Campaign to conclude with Sheryl Crow and Los Lonely Boys

Sheryl Crow performs during the Sunoco Welcome America concert in Philadelphia, Pa. on July 4, 2009. (Laurence Kesterson/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)

MCT

Alicia Balog

Sheryl Crow will perform at Dix Stadium Sept. 8 to celebrate the closing of Kent State’s Centennial Campaign on June 30.

Deborah McGuinness, assistant director of Advancement Communications, said the Centennial Campaign started publicly in Fall 2009 with the goal to raise $250 million to fund various things to keep the university going, including university endowment, capital projects and current operating needs.

“The endowment provides sort of a long-term able funding source for university priorities, and that could be anything from scholarships to research to faculty,” McGuinness said. “Capital projects basically are those that we use to expand and modernize the facilities on campus, the buildings, for modern classrooms. Then current operating funds basically allow the university to address immediate needs or emerging needs that come up over time.”

She said the Centennial Campaign has exceeded its goal. According to the press release, the university has raised over $256 million.

Doors open: 5 p.m.

Concert starts: 6 p.m.

Concert will happen rain or shine.

Tickets go on sale April 17 and will be sold through Ticketmaster and Kent State’s Ticket Office located at the M.A.C. Center.

A portion of ticket sales will go toward the Campaign for Change Scholarship Fund, fundraising more money for student scholarships.

Ticket prices

Students (with valid student ID):

$20 bleachers

$30 floor (standing room only)

General admission:

$35 bleachers

$50 chair back seats

To celebrate the campaign’s conclusion, the concert will include artists from different eras to appeal to all ages, including students and people from surrounding communities.

Sheryl Crow will headline the concert. McGuinness said Los Lonely Boys will also perform along with another band to be announced in August. However, she said the third band is one “that the students are going to love.”

The way they chose the acts was by talking to a promoter who presented them with a list of performers and seeing who would be available and interested in performing at Dix Stadium in September, McGuinness said.

The reason the concert is a few months after the campaign closes is because that’s when Dix Stadium will be available. She said the people organizing the concert did not want it to conflict with football games and other events.

They needed a place big enough to host the concert, so McGuinness said they looked into Dix Stadium rather than the M.A.C. Center.

“We wanted to have a large enough venue so that everyone could be included,” she said. “The students, townspeople, alumni, donors – everybody could come and have a place big enough to have the celebration.”

McGuinness said she hopes the concert attracts a variety of ages and that people enjoy themselves.

“It’s a wonderful evening of entertainment for really a good price. If you think about it, how many concert tickets can you buy for that price and see three bands?”

Contact Alicia Balog at [email protected].