Kent State students take part in Alternative Spring Break

Jacob Byk

Alternative Spring Break is a program that is run through Kent State, including all of its satellite universities. For the past few years, Alternative Spring Break has supported a trip to Columbiana County, Ohio, to provide assistance to the Appalachian community. Kent State students stayed at the East Liverpool campus in Columbiana County to help the community.

In a nutshell, Appalachia needs financial and recreational support due to its primary industry — energy. The processes of deriving coal, gas and oil from the earth can and often does leave towns, cities and entire communities in pieces, environmentally and economically. Kent State students, along with select high school students from around Ohio, provided support for local businesses that have nonprofit and philanthropic interests, as well as assisted with the environment.

These projects included, but were not limited to: marking trails on a new park with over 750 acres, re-painting a recreation center in a run-down area of East Liverpool, and delivering food to the less fortunate in and around the community.

The students dedicated their spring break to helping a less fortunate community that is on the rise, and needs support for next year. Please contact senior special assistant Ann Gosky for getting involved in the program during next year’s spring break.