Greeks use sketch comedy to raise money for charity

Nicole Winkleman

Greek chants, applause and energetic students filled the Student Center Ballroom on Saturday night.

Each chapter of the Greek community prepared a skit, danced and raised money for Delta Zeta’s annual Lip Sync philanthropy event.

“Lip Sync has been established as one of the largest philanthropic events held on Kent State University’s campus,” said Nikki Plotts, junior accounting major. “It has also gained our chapter national recognition for having one of the top philanthropies among all of the Delta Zeta chapters across the country.”

The money raised by the Greek community benefits four organizations: Gallaudet University, the House Ear Institute, the Starkey Hearing Foundation, and the Painted Turtle camp; all of which provide support for the hearing and speech impaired.

Last year the Greek community raised a little more than $28,000 at this philanthropy, so the goal this year was $30,000. The Greek community exceeded expectations by raising $34,307.91.

Vice president of new member education, Aubrey Luther, junior special education major, said Delta Zeta couldn’t do it without the support from the Greek community.

“We’re so honored,” Luther said. “We do this philanthropy every year because of the love, honor and support from each chapter.”

Even though the community came together to raise money for a good cause event was a competition between all of the chapters.

The first place winners were Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Epsilon Pi. Delta Gamma and Alpha Tau Omega took second place, and third place went to Sigma Sigma Sigma and Lambda Chi Alpha.

Abigail Henkin, senior educational studies major and president of Alpha Xi Delta, said this is the second year in a row that they won best sorority overall at Lip Sync.

“This year we helped co-sponsor a benefit concert where Thomas Fiss came and preformed,” Henkin said. “It’s been a really great experience.”

Jesse Markowitz, sophomore theatre studies major and member of Alpha Epsilon Pi, said he was most proud of the chapter’s approach to fundraising.

“We are definitely not afraid to ask people for money,” Markowitz said. “We would ask family members, friends; we even stood outside of the M.A.C. Center with a bucket trying to get donations. We got a lot of money that way.”

Chapters were judged on performance and the amount of money they raised. Members of Delta Zeta even voted on their choice.

Autumn Layman, senior middle childhood education major and philanthropy internal for Delta Zeta, announced the overall amount of money raised. Before Layman could even finish her sentence, there was a standing ovation from the members of the Greek community.

Contact Nicole Winkleman at [email protected].