Election Day: What to bring and where to go

Vote

Pexels

Vote

Kim Fisher Reporter

Before going to the polls, students should make sure they know where their polling place is and that they have the proper identification when they arrive. 

The Board of Elections in each county sent a card to each registered voter with their polling place listed. In the event the card is lost voters can still find their polling place online. 

Polling places for students living on campus are decided by which dorms the students live in. The Kent State University Library put together a PDF for students to find their polling place. 

Students living off campus in Ohio can use the Find Your Polling Location tool on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website. Students can use the clickable map to find their county and enter their home address to find their polling location. 

The Secretary of State’s website in each state should have a tool such as the Find Your Polling Location tool that students who live out of state can use.  

Students voting with an absentee ballot should have mailed them before today. There is no guarantee an absentee ballot will make it in time to be counted for the election results if mailed after Oct. 29.

If students have not mailed in their ballots yet, it is better to drive to their local Board of Elections and drop the ballot off in-person. 

When going to the polls in person, students must bring appropriate forms of identification with them. A proper ID needs to have a photo of the voter, an expiration date that has not passed, the voter’s legal name and current address. 

In Ohio, a driver’s license or state ID card are acceptable forms of identification, according to the Secretary of State’s website. Students from out of state should also check the rules of their state before showing up at the polls.

For more information, the Kent State Library website has a page with frequently asked questions about voting. 

Kim Fisher covers technology. Contact her at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.