Spring sale offers students a learning experience outside the classroom

Rachel Campbell

The School of Art’s Downtown Gallery is giving students a chance to be “walking, talking small business entrepreneur[s].”

“If this is what they want to do, they have to have that experience,” said Anderson Turner, director of the School of Art galleries. “We give them a kinder, gentler experience and an opportunity [to participate] in commercial art.”

Students can gain this experience by participating in the School of Art’s Spring Sale that begins March 7 in the downtown gallery.

Many previously stored away items will be available, but the gallery also requested submissions from students as well as local artists. These are priced by each artist while keeping in mind that a standard 40 percent cut is taken by the gallery.

“It’s a learning opportunity, which is why the gallery exists for students to try and, you know, have that experience.” Turner said. “They learn really quickly… to know their audience.”

Turner offers little guidance in the pricing of the items because he believes the students must prepare for their future in the art world.

“There’s certainly a price range that works in Kent, [but] it’s up to them,” he said. “I do let them figure that out. I’m often disappointed because some of them will have a really nice thing, but they’ll either do too high a price or too low a price, [but] a lot of times they have to learn that in life the hard way.”

The gallery’s landlord and neighboring business, McKay Bricker Framing and Black Squirrel Gallery & Gifts, will also be holding a sale at the same time in order to offer patrons even more shopping opportunities.

Textiles, ceramics, glass, jewelry and more will be available for purchase March 7 – 24 in the gallery. The gallery is located at 141 E. Main St. and is open Wednesday through Friday from noon to 5 p.m. and Saturday from 10 to 4 p.m.

Contact Rachel Campbell at [email protected].