A hold on your future: College fees

Photo courtesy of MCT Campus

MCT

Photo courtesy of MCT Campus

Meghan Bogardus

You’ve passed all your classes. You’ve got your diploma in hand. You should be all set to take the next step in your life. That is, if you don’t owe the university money.

While diplomas can’t be held when a student graduates without paying fees like parking tickets and library fines, Don Boland, the manager of collections and check distribution at the Bursar’s Office, said there is a hold placed on the student’s transcript and records.

This means that an employer or graduate school would not be able to access your transcript. Boland said this includes graduate programs at Kent State.

It might seem strange for an employer to need access to your transcript, but Carla Owens, the associate director of Career Services, said it is “very common, actually.”

Owens said it depends on the industry, but usually anything that requires licensing, like nursing, will require a transcript. She also said a lot of business employers, like accounting firms, would want to know what grades you’ve received.

For Jacquelyn Price, a senior biology major who is graduating in August, a held transcript would directly affect her application to graduate programs to become a physician’s assistant.

Though Price owes just about $1,700, it has been difficult for her to pay it back immediately.

“I’m a full-time student. I have a son. I work part time,” she said. “I live off my loans.”

• Check your account via Flashline.
  • Contact the Bursar’s Office at 330-672-2626.
  • Set up a payment plan.

Price has already set up a payment plan through the Bursar’s Office, but this will not affect the possible hold on her account.

“We set students up on payment plans once they have graduated, but they still would not be able to get their transcripts or register until that balance is paid,” Boland said.

Price said she believes she will have enough time to pay off the money before she would start graduate school next April. However, she said she doesn’t feel she has been accurately informed by the Bursar’s Office over the years.

In particular, Price noted a lack of communication between the Bursar’s Office and the Financial Aid Office. She said often when dealing with those offices, she would end up confused about her financial situation.

Boland said students who owe money are updated on their accounts with monthly statements. After graduation, he said the Bursar’s Office will send out a collection notice and a bill via mail.

Contact Meghan Bogardus at [email protected].