Kent State’s neuroscience club offers members a multitude of opportunities

Kandra Hill Teaching reporter

Although Kent State introduced a neuroscience undergraduate degree program last fall, the neuroscience club has existed on campus since 2018. 

“The neuroscience club started two years ago as a way to help promote the new neuroscience major that would be coming within the next year, as well as being a place for anyone who is interested in coming and talking about brains,” said president and founder of the club Joshua Saegesser, who is a senior neuroscience and bio pre-med major.

Aside from wanting to attract curious students, the club also wants to make Kent State a school known for its neuroscience program, according to Saegesser. 

For Anna Anello, a sophomore neuroscience major, the club has helped her with her academic career.

“It helped me understand how the brain and neurons work, as well as how the brain is set up. It also helped me figure out what classes to take and which professors to take them with,” Anello said. “For many of the upper division courses it depends on what you want to do with the major, so course selection help has been huge.” 

The club helps students to understand different areas of neuroscience and encourages them to build connections with other students and professors. 

“The club has been very helpful for my academic career, especially in a field like neuroscience where there is a lot of interdisciplinary communication,” said Teressa Wesley, a junior neuroscience and zoology major. “It is great to know other people in your field so you can share ideas and learn about different areas of the subject, as well as opening up more opportunities for yourself.” 

A point of emphasis for the club is the inclusion of all students who are interested in the field, according to senior neuroscience major Cassidy Ridley.

“Do not be intimidated by neuroscience or to attend a meeting. College is about figuring out what you want to do; don’t be intimidated by the name,” Ridley said. 

The discipline of neuroscience is broad about what can be done with it after graduation. Students can pursue research, medical school, and other avenues.

“The club definitely helps you talk through all your options. It helps you understand the possibilities of what you can do with it after school,” Sophia Rores, a sophomore neuroscience major, said. 

Currently, the club is meeting virtually on Zoom due to the pandemic. Those interested can send an email for meeting times and other details. 

“Everyone is welcome to a meeting; even if you’re slightly interested we can help you build your interest in any aspect of neuroscience,” Saegesser said. 

Kandra Hill is a teaching reporter. Contact her at [email protected]

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.