BUS plans fundraiser and hosts keynote speaker

Drew Parker

Black United Students will co-host a fundraiser with Kaplan and Doctors Without Borders Wednesday.

Doctors Without Borders is a humanitarian organization offering medical help to developing countries. Kaplan, a college test-prep company, has offered to donate $1 for every student who pledges their support to Doctors Without Borders, simply by signing their name on a Kaplan information card in the student center.

BUS members will be at fundraising tables from 11-2 p.m. in the student center to collect pledges for the fundraiser.

Later in the week, Kaplan will host a drawing in which all pledged students are eligible for a 1-year textbook scholarship from Chegg, an online textbook store.

BUS member Avery Danage is organizing the fundraiser. Danage said BUS chose the fundraiser because of its aid to Africa and will be an opportunity for BUS members to remember the less fortunate.

“Its important for students to remember that someone always has it worse than them,” Danage said. “Doctors Without Borders is a not only a humanitarian organization, but also helps people with medical problems all over the world, especially in Africa. It’s a great group for us to support.”

BUS will end Black Heritage Month activities with Keynote speaker Jeff Johnson Wednesday evening. Johnson is a well-known journalist, motivational speaker, and BET personality. The event will begin in the Kiva at 7:30 p.m.

Contact Drew Parker at [email protected].