Famous comedian Aziz Ansari coming to Kent

Ben Jordan

Comedian and actor Aziz Ansari will bring his talents to the M.A.C. Center April 12.

Ansari hosted the MTV Movie Awards in 2010 and currently stars in NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” with Amy Poehler. He has been called “one of the most prolific writers and performers on the comedy scene in recent years” by The Hollywood Reporter and one of the “Top 10 Comedians of the Decade” by Paste Magazine.

Besides stand-up, Ansari brings his comedic talents to the big screen. He most recently starred in the action comedy “30 Minutes or Less,” as well as “I Love You, Man” and “Funny People.”

Jeff Hammond, senior physical education major and Director of Programming for USG, said he is excited Ansari is finally coming to Kent.

“We’ve been working on him for over a year,” Hammond said. “His agent sent us an email and said he’s going to be in the Cleveland area the day before … and we accepted the offer.”

The event is planned at a great time because it will let students unwind before finals week, Hammond said. It will also be a couple weeks before Kent State’s annual Flash Fest.

Hammond said tickets will go on sale beginning next week. He said students can purchase tickets from the MAC Center box office or Ticketmaster online. Student tickets for floor and upper level seats are $15 and $10, respectively. General admission will be $30 for floor seats and $25 for the upper level.

“He’s a big-name comedian,” Hammond said. ”A lot of people know him and he’ll be good on any college campus. I can’t wait.”

Contact Ben Jordan at [email protected].