2020’s new accessory: How to style face masks, where to buy them

Face masks for sale at Old Navy in Stow. 

Zach Zdanowicz Reporter

Masks are the fashion trend nobody asked for this year, but it is still possible to make them fashionable.

“When I get dressed in the morning, I think about what masks I have in my car and what will match my outfit,” Madison Wagner, a junior political science major, said.

When coordinating a mask to an outfit, it can be helpful to think of it as an accessory to add to the overall look. It may also be an opportunity  to venture beyond basic colors and explore fun patterns and designs that accent the outfit.

“I definitely love cheetah print right now,” Wagner said. “If I don’t have accessories, I just use my mask as an accessory.” 

Many retailers are selling masks in stores in a variety of prints and colors. 

Wagner said her favorite place to purchase masks is Old Navy.

“There is a lot to choose from (at Old Navy),” she said. “I like how you can get mono-chromatic colors there, but you can also get any print you think of.” 

By adding masks to their brand, Gap Inc., the parent brand of Old Navy, has reported “a 95 percent increase in online net sales compared to the same time period last year,” with $130 million coming from mask sales alone, according to ABC news. 

Wagner said she likes Old Navy’s masks because they are breathable. When looking for the perfect mask, Wagner said she believes it is important to find one that is light enough to be breathable, but still holds up to CDC guidelines.

Contact Zach Zdanowicz at [email protected].

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.