Kent State students build Bridges to Kindergarten

Celia Fernandez

Since it began in 2009, Bridges to Kindergarten, a multi-year project between Project Grad Akron, Kent State and the Akron public schools has expanded its efforts to help children with their transition to kindergarten.

According to the Bridges to Kindergarten program overview, B2K has served over 82 kindergarten children and about 480 family members.

“We designed a camp that serves children for two weeks, and as time went on, it became not only about children but family engagement,” said Janice Kroeger, Kent State associate professor and early childhood coordinator.

When it first started, the program employed five Kent State students and about 18 children. Now the program has grown to about nine Kent State student employees and 32 children.

“Children learn things like opening milk cartons, walking quietly in the hallway, getting along with a friend, saying hello to another child, recognizing their name tag, little things like that.” – Janice Kroeger

“The students help with the camp, teach, run small groups of experience for the children like art, music, and all the kinds of things children need to know when they get to school,” Kroeger said.

The program is offered two weeks during the summer, and within those two weeks, different events are offered in order to allow parents to get involved with the experience of their children.

“Children learn things like opening milk cartons, walking quietly in the hallway, getting along with a friend, saying hello to another child, recognizing their name tag, little things like that,” Kroeger said.

A typical B2K classroom consists of 10 children with four adults in each classroom.

“One of the things that is unique about this camp is a high adult to child ratio. With that we have the advantage of more individual experience and attention so it makes the child’s experience a lot less stressful,” Kroeger said.

According to the B2K overview, students who are eligible for federal work-study and have experience with children are encouraged to apply to participate in the summer camp offered for children entering kindergarten.

“(We) tend to pick students who have experience and are very energetic, like children and generally enjoy them,” Kroeger said. “Students have to be able to make good anticipation about what a five-year-old will enjoy.”

Contact Celia Fernandez at [email protected].