Q-and-A with Homecoming’s Grand Marshal Chad Zumock

Brittany Hill

The Daily Kent Stater got the chance to grab a few words with Kent State graduate Chad Zumock of The Alan Cox Show on 100.7 WMMS. Zumock partners with Kent State to present the weekly Thursday night Comedy shows in the Rathskeller, and he will be serving as grand marshal in Kent State University’s Homecoming Parade Oct.15.

Q: How did you become grand marshal?

A: Umm, I don’t know. It was an honor that they picked me, but it was a horrible mistake on their end. I just want to know who dropped out. *laughs*

Q: What do you have planned as grand marshal?

A: I think I’m going to keep it kind of sophisticated. I was going to do something crazy and wild, but since they went out of their way to give me this, I should probably treat it with some respect.

I’m bringing my friend Carl. We call him Hot Carl. He’s a large man. He’s probably like 300-some pounds. I was going to dress him up as Jackie Onassis, but I thought that would be tasteless.

Q: So are you still planning to bring Hot Carl?

A: Yeah, I’ll still bring him. He’s a fellow comedian and Kent State alum himself. We’ll just wave and you know — what do you do in that situation? *laughs* I don’t know. I’m just really going to take it in. I’ll probably videotape it. I mean, I just don’t want [Kent State] to regret their decision.

Q: So what, in your eyes, will make your duty as grand marshal a success?

A: Umm, I think if I can get through it without being shot, for me, that’s a full success.

Q: What does it mean to you to be able to work with Kent State to put on these Thursday night comedy shows?

A: Well, it kind of came about — it was pretty interesting. I had moved back from Los Angeles, and I was doing stand up on the road, and I just kind of wanted to [because] when I went to school there, they didn’t have anything really like that.

Since I know just about every stand-up comedian in the business, I’ve worked with them or met them. I’ve developed relationships and friendships with a lot of them.

I got to work with Donna Carlton (Assistant Director of the Center for Student Involvement), who I’ve known since I was in school. She’s always been very supportive of my career, and she believed in this idea.

I mean, we’re three years in now, and it has built an audience, and comics love to come here. It’s pretty cool that I can kind of give that back.

Q: Why do you think students should come to the Thursday night comedy shows?

A: This is a really, really cool thing because it’s on your campus. You have professional comics from Comedy Central and Showtime performing every Thursday. People will go to the comedy clubs and make a weekend out of it … They’ll get sitters, and they’ll go (with) a date.

I mean this is right on campus every Thursday and you’re not paying a dime.

It’s a pretty cool thing, I think. It’s free entertainment for students. I mean, If you’re trapped in your dorm room … go down to Damon’s and watch a show.

new TWTR.Widget({

version: 2,

type: ‘search’,

search: ‘#KWhomecoming’,

interval: 6000,

subject: ”,

width: 240,

height: 300,

theme: {

shell: {

background: ‘#b8b8b8’,

color: ‘#66a9c5’

},

tweets: {

background: ‘#b8b8b8’,

color: ‘#444444’,

links: ‘#1985b5’

}

},

features: {

scrollbar: true,

loop: true,

live: true,

hashtags: true,

timestamp: true,

avatars: true,

toptweets: true,

behavior: ‘default’

}

}).render().start();

Q: How is the Alan Cox Show?

A: It’s incredible. It’s surreal because the show is so popular right now that it’s just everywhere we got people (who) know who we are … It just kind of hit a nerve with a lot of people. We’re number one in our time slot, and for me it’s just been awesome for my stand up because now people really want to come out and see me. Where before, I’d be with like Daniel Tosh or somebody, and they’re there to see them, and I’m just the guy they’re waiting to get through to get to whomever. Now I’m the guy (people are waiting to see), so I’m pretty happy about that.

Q: What keeps you coming back to Northeast Ohio?

A: Well, it’s home. I lived in Los Angeles for two years, and it was the best of times and the worst of times, but I’m a Midwest guy. I think with the power of the Internet, there is so much you can do. You don’t need to move to a coast. I’m comfortable here. My friends are here. My family is here.

Believe it or not, here you can be a big fish in a small pond, but out there you’re just kind of lost in the shuffle. I have a salary, and I do financially really well here. It just makes sense.

Q: How do you think Kent State has played a role in shaping the person you are?

A: It’s definitely defined who I am. Kent’s a part of me because it’s the reason why I chose my path in life. I realized I wanted to be a comic. It’s opened the doors to some of my best friends to this day. It’s been a great networking tool. When I lived in Los Angeles I met other people that went to Kent. My roommate in college was Trevor Huffman, who is Kent State (basketball)’s all-time leading scorer, and he is one of my best friends. It shaped my life because everyone I met at Kent is still a part of my life.

Q: Anything else you’d like to add?

A: Definitely listen to my radio show! The Alan Cox Show from 3 to 7 (on) weekdays, and I’m a mess, and my Twitter is @ChadZumock.

Contact Brittany Hill at [email protected].