Honors dean re-introduces fee to honors students

Jenna Hedman

After paying one of the most expensive new fees on campus this semester, some honors students are questioning the use of their money.

Christina Mariola, freshman art education major and honors student, said although she knew there was an extra $75 fee, she didn’t understand what it was for.

“I knew there was going to be new construction on campus, so I thought [the fee] might go to that,” Mariola said.

Honors College Dean Donald Williams introduced the news of the fee to honors students in an email last spring. In the email he said the fee would allow the college to “continue to offer smaller sections of courses, advising, and other services in the future.”

Williams said the Provost initially introduced the fee because of budget concerns, which led to non-honors departments offering fewer honors sections of their classes.

The fee was approved as a way of compensation.

There are about 100 honors courses offered throughout the year, and these courses are more expensive to the departments because of the smaller class sizes.

“I would rather be in a situation where the departments were willing to offer courses without compensation,” Williams said. “But even with the fee, it is often not enough to cover the true costs, so the departments are still being generous.”

As of right now, the fee is going strictly towards maintaining the number of honors courses offered. Still, some students don’t think it’s fair.

Adam Schulte, senior biotechnology major and honors student said he feels the fee is a “bit ridiculous.”

“I’m a senior and am done with all of my honors classes. Now I have to pay a fee for the honors courses that I’m not even taking,” Schulte said.

Other students feel that even with the fee, the Honors College is still worth it.

“Being in the honors college gives you better experience and better credentials for once you graduate and you have a better chance at a better job,” Mariola said.

Jen Omlor, junior nutrition and food major, is not in the Honors College, but she said if she had to pay an extra fee to be in her major without receiving additional benefits, she probably would have looked into going to school somewhere else.

“If they’re going to make you pay more, you should get more benefits,” Omlor said.

Williams said he hopes the fee will allow the Honors College to offer more courses, hire a new adviser and provide more programming in the future.

As for the future cost of the fee, Williams says he can’t make any promises that the price will go up or down.

“I have no control over the amount of the fee,” Williams said. “My hope is that it won’t rise.”

Contact Jenna Hedman at [email protected].