Lamar R. Hylton recognized with four national, regional awards

Lamar Hylton, Ph.D., is senior vice president for student affairs at Kent State University. 

Owen MacMillan Assistant Managing Editor

Lamar Hylton, Kent State’s first Black senior vice president for student affairs, began his tenure with a splash, earning four national and regional awards relating to leadership, collaboration and success this semester.

Most recently, Hylton received the Scott Goodnight Award for Outstanding Performance as a Dean from Region IV-East of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA). The award was announced on the group’s Facebook page on Oct. 23.

“This award is presented to a Dean who has demonstrated sustained professional achievement in student affairs work, innovative response in meeting students’ varied and emerging needs, effectiveness in developing staff, and leadership in community and college or university affairs,” the NASPA website stated.

Hylton will formally receive the award at the group’s regional conference in Minneapolis, held on Nov. 7-9. 

“I’m humbled to have even been nominated and even more humbled that I won,” Hylton stated in a university press release. “It really left me speechless; I am so grateful to my nominators and NASPA IV-East for bestowing upon me this really amazing honor. It is a very humbling moment.”

With this regional award, Hylton becomes qualified for NASPA’s national Scott Goodnight Award.

NASPA will also recognize Hylton with its Pillars of the Profession award at NASPA’s national conference in March 2022. The honor goes to leaders in student affairs who are nominated by their colleagues. Hylton will be recognized again in March as a Diamond Honoree by the ACPA Foundation at its national conference.

The award is a way for the foundation to solicit donations while recognizing administrators who “have made outstanding contributions to ACPA, student affairs and services, and higher education.” The American College Personnel Association describes itself on its website as ”the leading comprehensive student affairs association that advances student affairs and engages students for a lifetime of learning and discovery.”

On a more local level, Crain’s Cleveland Business named Hylton on its Forty Under 40 list that recognizes influential professionals in Northeast Ohio under the age of 40. Hylton and the other recipients will be honored on Nov. 22 at the Music Box Supper Club in Cleveland.

Owen MacMillan is assistant managing editor. Contact him at [email protected]