Shop ‘til you drop: Kent has an eclectic mix to offer

JENNA WATSON

JENNA WATSON

Samantha Peitra

Starting college is the start of life on your own. Now that Kent is your new home away from home, familiarize yourself with the best local spots to satisfy your shopping itch.

Einstein’s Attic

Einstein’s Attic is a local thrift store with products ranging from furniture to clothing. During the Halloween season, they rearrange the store and set out costume ideas for shoppers — which is when Kent students go all out to put together the best costumes of the season. The store stocks vintage merchandise including Cleveland Browns glasses and Smurf figurines. If they do not have an item, the employees are able to take contact information and call once they have it available. Their prices range from $1-$200. Einstein’s Attic is across from University Plaza and accessible by the PARTA route Kent Circulator. It is 3.5 miles away from campus.

Silver and Scents

This fun little shop in Acorn Alley offers, you guessed it, silver and scents, from sterling silver fashion rings, earrings, hand-made bracelets and necklaces to unique candles, scented oils and other forms of aroma therapy. Take a walk downtown to get some new jewelry or stop in after getting some ice cream from Arctic Squirrel.

Figleaf Boutique

Located in downtown Kent, Figleaf Boutique carries women’s clothing and accessories. Their clothing options range from daywear to nightwear. It is a nearby option for party dresses, formal wear or upscale casual attire. Their prices range from $8-$39. Figleaf is on PARTA’s Kent Circulator route as well and is located near Acorn Alley. Figleaf Boutique also has a website with online merchandise and information on their other locations.

International HOME Markets

Calling all international students or lovers of international food, this student-run business located in Acorn Alley connects Kent State students with nations across the globe. The shop offers treats from around the world geared toward requests from Kent’s international community. You can stop in to try something new or request merchandise to be found for you. In addition to fresh, frozen and organic goods, the market also sells scarves, jewelry and other international items.

Target

Target carries everything from groceries to home décor items. While shopping for dorm room essentials, keep in mind that Target has a whole section of the store dedicated to dorm life with things like comforters, sheets and body pillows. They also carry some of the lesser-known necessities like step stools, posters and lamps. Target has a wide selection of entertainment goods as well. Target is four miles from campus and can be accessed on the Interurban PARTA route.

Walmart

Walmart Superstore is a 24-hour alternative to Target. While they may not have the dorm room essential space all year round, they do have a price-match guarantee. This would be beneficial for students to keep in mind as saving money is just as important as spending it. With a variety of locations, students can go to their website to check if something is available in the nearest location before taking the trip. Walmart is also accessible on the Interurban PARTA route.

Last Exit Books

Last Exit Books is a used bookstore that carries nearly every genre of book. Located downtown on East Main Street, they also carry a selection of new local history books, including some about May 4. On top of novels of all kinds, Last Exit also carries used comic books, CDs, DVDs and vinyl. Students in English classes are likely to find the books they need at a discounted price. Last Exit’s prices range from $2-$15.

Other shopping locations in the Kent area include: Plato’s Closet, Chapel Hill Mall, Best Buy, T.J. Maxx and Gabriel Brothers.

Contact Samantha Peitra at [email protected].