Bar and Food Guide

PHOTO BY Coty Giannelli

DKS staff

Maybe you’re sick of on-campus cuisine or perhaps you’re 21 and want to celebrate with a night out. Whatever your reason for visiting Kent’s food or beverage establishments, you’ll be able to explore and find the right place with our Bar and Food Guide. These tasty dining and drink locations are just a handful of what Kent has to offer.

Zephyr Pub and Spirits

The Zephyr’s best quality, besides its laid-back atmosphere, is its spacious patio. Accessible from all three floors, it’s the perfect place to combine good beer with nice weather. Taco Tontos is also accessible from a carry-out window on the patio. 106 W. Main St.

EuroGyro

For greasy goodness that will certainly satisfy any college student’s palate, order from EuroGyro’s menu of specialty pizzas, gyros, wings or subs. It also features cheap pitchers and drink specials. Go in for Wacky Wednesday and get a large, one-topping pizza for only $5.50. 107 S. Depeyster St.

Scribbles Coffee Company

This mom and pop coffee shop with its mismatched furniture and huge selection of books is a cozy place to unwind. Try a cup of its peppermint hot chocolate or fair trade organic coffee. 237 N. Water St.

Bistro on Main

A nicer place that still knows it is part of a college town, the Bistro on Main hosts the “Original Cheap Date Night.” Every Wednesday, couples can choose from a limited menu of six pizzas or three pastas, two salads, a pitcher of draft beer or bottle of wine and a dessert for two. The options may be limited, but there are no complaints for the $35 price tag. 1313 W. Main St.

The Brewhouse Pub

Self-proclaimed the “Cheapest College Bar Ever,” this 18-and-over bar does have some impressive drink specials like the 75-cent mug and $2.99 pitcher (of Keystone). They also have karaoke every Thursday night and all the free popcorn you can eat. If taste can be foregone because of budgetary issues, this is the place to go. 244 N. Water St.

Evergreen Chinese Restaurant Buffet

Dine in or get all your favorites to go. This economical taste of Americanized Chinese cuisine is sure to fill hungry, broke college students for at least an hour. Then you can just walk right back up and get another plate. 1665 State Route 59.

Franklin Square Deli

This quaint Kent staple is a delicious option for fresh deli sandwiches, soups and mini pizzas. Eat inside, or dine al fresco at one of their sidewalk tables. 108 S. Water St.

Main Street Continental Grill

Mediterranean cuisine and vegetarian fare join American favorites on the Continental Grill’s diverse menu. Try their falafel, hummus, tabouli or veggie chili. Meat eaters can enjoy a chili dog or a kafta kabob. 911 E. Main St.

Mike’s Place

If the wacky atmosphere doesn’t attract attention, Mike’s huge menu certainly will. Enjoy a meal in a bus or a boat, and don’t forget to read the placemat for Mike’s favorite proverbs, news and specials. 1700 S. Water St.

Ray’s Place

With 60 taps between its two floors and about twice that number in bottled beer, Ray’s continues to be a local favorite. But don’t count out its diverse food menu with delicious appetizers (sun stix!), burgers, sandwiches, salads and entrees. Iron Chef Michael Symon even selected Ray’s Mo-Fo Burger as one of his hometown favorites for the Food Network show “The Best Thing I Ever Ate.” 135 Franklin Ave.

Riverside Wine and Imports

With wine, beer, cheese and instrumental jazz performances, this establishment keeps Kent classy. Enjoy the smoke-free environment with views of the river and more than 60 wines sold by the glass and bottle, along with an 1,800-label selection. 911 N. Mantua St.

Water Street Tavern

A classic hangout for students and community members, the Tavern has a $2 happy hour that runs seven days a week from open to 9 p.m., with live music on Wednesday and Friday nights. For delicious barbeque and Southern-style fare, order from Cajun Dave’s, located inside Water Street Tavern. Order a fishbowl, grab a Po-Boy or Muffeletta and sit on the rooftop. 132 S. Water St.

Wild Goats Café

With a somewhat Bohemian atmosphere, Goats is the place for delicious breakfast or lunch options. Try a Smoky Apple melt, avocado omelette, or a giant cinnamon roll. 319 W. Main St.

Taco Tontos

Take a break from Chipotle and try out this local eatery serving up burritos, tacos and tostadas made with fresh ingredients.

You’ll appreciate their burrito specials and laid-back environment. 123 Franklin Ave.