Main campus no longer accepting new applications for fall semester

Julie Sickel

Latecomers to the college application process who hope to enroll at Kent State’s main campus for Fall 2011 should start looking elsewhere.

After receiving a record number of freshmen applications, the university announced last week any freshman who applied on or after June 22 would have to attend a regional campus or postpone attendance until Spring 2012.

“In the past, Kent State has taken applications up through the start of the fall semester,” said T. David Garcia, associate vice president for enrollment management. “That will not be the case this year.”

The application cap was based on the number of students who applied and the number of students signed up for Destination Kent State. Emily Vincent, director of university media relations, said the cap was necessary because of a combination of limited residence hall space and academic course accommodations.

With applications up 22.6 percent from last year, university officials said they anticipate a new freshman enrollment record for Fall 2011. The current record is 4,030, set in Fall 2009. Enrollment for the main campus has steadily increased since 2006 and has grown 19.1 percent since 2000.

Summer 2011 enrollment is also up, with a 6.57 percent increase from 2010 across the university’s eight-campus system, the university announced Monday.

Contact Summer Kent Stater editor Julie Sickel at [email protected].