Political groups elect new presidents

Caitlin Restelli

Kent State’s left and right wing student organizations nominated and elected their executive board members to lead them for the 2011-2012 academic year.

“It’s really excited to be around for 2012 now,” said Bryan Staul, elected college Democrat president. “I think it can be the best political organization on campus, it just takes effort.”

Greg Allison, elected college Republican president, said he is glad to have the position for the next school year.

“I feel I can do some good things for our organization and I hope that next year we have a good year, that we can grow our group,” said Allison, junior political science major.

Both organizations plan to make membership within their groups and participation in the 2012 election their top priorities.

“We are in contact with state organizations to make sure we finally have Kent State students on state-wide democratic organizations,” said Staul, sophomore political science major.

Dimitri Savelieff, elected college Republican vice president, said the country is going in the wrong direction, and people need to realize what is at stake.

“We just want to make people aware of the conservative cause and show them and increase our membership and become more involved on campus and in the community,” said Savelieff, senior computer science major.

Allison said he wants to hold forums and debates “so that people can maybe make up their minds about the election.”

Staul’s biggest goal is to re-elect President Obama.

“It’s going to be tougher than the guys in 2008 had it,” Staul said. “President Obama has four years under his belt, and some people aren’t happy.”

Contact Caitlin Restelli at [email protected].