Founder of Priceline.com to speak in Kiva

Photo courtesy of MCT.

Leighann McGivern

Jeff Hoffman, the founder and CEO of Priceline.com, will speak in the Kiva at 7 p.m. Monday as part of the Michael D. Solomon Entrepreneurship Speaker Series.

Michael D. Solomon endowed the series in 2000, which annually brings professional entrepreneurs to speak with students.

“(Solomon’s) generosity has led to bringing many entrepreneurs to campus as well as to the general development of our entrepreneurship program,” said marketing lecturer Julie Messing.

Hoffman will speak about his experience becoming an entrepreneur in college and his professional endeavors with Priceline.com, a website which helps users find discounted prices on hotels, flights and other travel expenses.

Messing said it is important for students to hear from professionals in their fields.

“These entrepreneurs have walked the talk and have many experiences and stories to share,” Messing said. “Also, by sharing them in person, the students can sense or feel the passion and energy for entrepreneurship.”

Patrick Welsh, senior entrepreneurship major, said having speakers like Hoffman helps to bring awareness to the program.

“It’s going to open a lot of people’s eyes to our entrepreneurship program,” Welsh said. “College students that have ideas for opening businesses will be much more aware of the opportunities that they have here at Kent.”

The event is free for all.

Contact Leighann McGivern at [email protected].