Update: Football player arrested for alleged assault, underage drinking

Lance Lysowski

UPDATE

A Kent State football player was arrested early Sunday morning at the 200 block of Franklin Ave. in downtown Kent for underage drinking, displaying a fake I.D. and assault.

Kent State sophomore safety Zachary Gonosz pleaded not guilty to all charges Monday, and a pre-trial hearing is set for June 2 at 1:15 p.m. in front of Judge Kevin Poland.

Cab driver Jeffrey Austin, who works for A#1 Cab, said Gonosz approached his van outside of Mugs Brew Pub and Sports Grill at about 2:45 a.m.

Gonosz told Austin that he rode in his taxi the previous weekend, and allegedly began an altercation with the van’s passenger, Ronald Cassie.

Cassie, a 39-year-old Streestsboro resident and owner of A#1 Cab Dispatch, reported being assaulted by Gonosz, according to a police report.

Cassie declined to comment, but Austin said the encounter was “uncalled for.”

“The dude really didn’t know what he was talking about,” Austin said. “I think he was just a little bit too drunk, and he didn’t even know the guy’s name that he hit.”

Officer Michael Domer responded to the 911 call and arrested Gonosz along with sophomore pre-nursing major Lauren Schroeder, who was charged with disorderly conduct.

Shroeder is scheduled to appear for arraignment at 8:15 a.m. today in front of a Kent administrative judge.

Gonosz posted bond for a total of $1,905 in order to return to his hometown of Dallas, Ga., at the end of the spring semester. He declined to comment.

The maximum penalty for each of the three first-degree misdemeanors is six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. It is Gonosz’s second time being cited with underage drinking after a first offense occurred May 1, 2010, according to court records.

Alan Ashby, director of athletics for communications, said Gonosz is suspended indefinitely from team activities until the situation can be evaluated further.

Gonosz appeared in 10 games for Kent State during the 2009 season, but was redshirted in 2010 because of injury. He was expected to compete for a starting job with the Flashes in the upcoming season.

Contact Lance Lysowski at [email protected]

Initial report

Zack Gonosz, a sophomore safety for the Kent State football team, was arrested early Sunday at the 200 block of Franklin Avenue following Saturday’s spring football game.

Police arrested Gonosz cited him for underage drinking and arrested him for an alleged assault.

Alan Ashby, assistant athletic director for communications, said that Gonosz has been suspended indefinitely from team activities until the situation can be further evaluated.

This is Gonosz’s second citation for underage drinking since arriving at Kent State. The first citation occurred May 1, 2010. Gonosz was referred to a diversion program and paid an $87 fine.

Gonosz appeared in 10 games during 2009, and was red shirted last season because of injury.

Check back to KentWired.com for more information as it’s made available.

Lance Lysowski