Grand jury indicts Kent State student on felony 5 charges

Julie Sickel

A grand jury indicted a Kent State student at the Portage County Common Pleas Court Thursday on three counts each of forgery, identity fraud and telecommunications fraud, all felonies in the fifth degree.

Antonino Bucca, 20, of Kent, was scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing at the Kent Municipal Court Friday for his connection with a fake ID shipment, but his attorney, Marcus Sidoti, filed a continuance Thursday.

If convicted, Bucca could serve a combined three years in prison for each of the felony charges. His arraignment is scheduled for 11 a.m. April 18 in Judge Laurie Pittman’s courtroom.

Prosecutor Victor Vigluicci said the grand jury meets on Thursdays and it was routine for an indictment to be passed before Bucca’s preliminary hearing.

The co-defendant in Bucca’s case, Drew Patenaude, 20, of Kent, was also scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing Friday on the same charges as Bucca. However, Patenaude’s lawyer, Michael Giulitto, filed for a continuance Wednesday. Vigluicci said he could not discuss Patenaude’s, case at this time.

The prosecution is still reviewing the case for further charges and future arrests could be made, Vigluicci said.

Kent Police arrested Bucca, a junior accounting major, and Patenaude, a junior business management major, March 31 in connection with a shipment of counterfeit IDs intercepted by the United States Customs and Border Protection of Ohio. Brian Bell, the customs spokesman for Ohio, said the 90 IDs recovered were hidden in an electronic device and originated in China.

Kent Police believe it was the intent of the two students to sell and distribute the IDs to underage students.

-Julie Sickel